Over 20 different branches comprise the Gulf Coast library systems, so wherever you live, there’s a library close by! Think you’ll only find books and DVDs? Guess again. Our library systems offer homeschool and homework resources, gaming rooms, creative play centers, audio books, teen classes, book clubs, and so much more. What are you waiting for? Find your local branch and get over there! Better yet, take the kids on an outing to a branch you’ve never visited and discover a whole new world of resources.
Include your local library in your weekly plans. Programs and activities are available for children of all ages, and best of all, they’re free and indoors (read: air conditioning, because we all know that “summer” heat will stick around through October, at least!).
There’s a wealth of educational entertainment available through the 3 coastal library systems!
Please check individual library calendars for specific times and additional programs available. Clicking on the name of the individual system will take you to its website.
- Bay St. Louis: 312 Highway 90, Bay St. Louis, MS 39520 (Headquarters)
- East Hancock: 4545 Shepherd Square, Diamondhead, MS 39525
- Kiln: 17065 Highway 603, Kiln, MS 39556
- Pearlington: 6096 First Avenue, Pearlington, MS 39572
- Waveland: 345 Coleman Avenue, Waveland, MS 39576
*I live in Hancock County and have visited each of these branches in my 10 years on the coast.
Kindergarten readiness classes, breastfeeding classes, story hour, summer reading program; learning games and toys available for checkout, Brainfuse online tutoring, BookMyne app, Halloween safety, trunk or treat, Holiday Tree Gala.
- Biloxi: 580 Howard Avenue, Biloxi, MS 39530
- Gulfport: 1708 25th Avenue, Gulfport, MS 39501
- Jerry Lawrence Memorial: 10391 Auto Mall Parkway, D’Iberville, MS 39540
- Margaret S. Sherry Memorial: 2141 Popps Ferry Rd., Biloxi, MS 39532
- Orange Grove: 12135 Old Hwy 49, Gulfport, MS 39503 (Headquarters)
- Pass Christian: 111 Hiern Avenue, Pass Christian, MS 39571
- Saucier Children’s Library: 24014 Church Avenue, Saucier, MS 39574
- West Biloxi: 2047 Pass Road, Biloxi, MS 39531
- Woolmarket: 13034 Kayleigh Cove, Biloxi, MS 39532
*Even though I live in Hancock County, the Harrison County library system receives most of my library business. The staff at the Pass Christian branch are wonderful. Seriously, I can’t say enough good things about them. They are helpful and friendly and forgiving (ask me how many times they’ve cleared or reduced my massive overdue books fine!).
Story hour and craft time; summer reading program; Teen Tuesday; Saturday Arts and Crafts; Sit, Stay, READ (reading to therapy dogs); HOOPLA digital library; 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program and app; 100 Books Before High School program; specialty cake baking pans for birthdays, graduations, etc.
Saucier Children’s Library (the only library on the coast designed specifically for children) offers an after school story hour for elementary ages, a Library Volunteer Club, and Teen Cafe culinary literacy program.
- East Central: 21801 Slider Road, Moss Point, MS 39562
- Kathleen McIlwain at Gautier: 2100 Library Lane, Gautier, MS 39553
- Lucedale/George County: 507 Oak Street, Lucedale, MS 39452
- Ina Thompson Moss Point: 4119 Bellview St., Moss Point, MS 39563
- Ocean Springs Municipal: 525 Dewey Avenue, Ocean Springs, MS 39564
- Pascagoula: 3214 Pascagoula Street, Pascagoula, MS 39567 (Headquarters)
- St. Martin: 15004 LeMoyne Blvd., Biloxi, MS 39532
- Vancleave: 12604 Highway 57, Vancleave, MS 39565
As a mom who frequents the library, I recommend the following:
Story Hour: I have always enjoyed the story hour in Kiln because the librarians work so hard to make it fun and engaging for the littles.
Holiday Tree Gala: The Holiday Tree Gala at the Bay St. Louis branch in early December is a must-see; your kids will go gaga for the variety of trees on display, plus there is an opportunity to take free pictures with Santa.
Summer Reading Program: The summer reading program is a big hit with kids of all ages, and your older kids and teens will love ComicCon at the Bay St. Louis branch in late July/early August.
Game Rooms & Children’s Play Areas: My son loves the game room in Pass Christian, and my 3 year old runs straight to the ship in the children’s wing every time we arrive.
Homeschool Resources: Because we homeschool, we read lots of books. Harrison County almost always has the books we need for school, and they are shipped from branch to branch quickly.
HOOPLA App: Don’t fail to download the HOOPLA app on your phone or tablet. You can check out up to 4 books per month and listen to them. It’s like Audible, but FREE!
LEGO Club: One of our contributors mentioned how much she and her boys love the LEGO Club, especially at the Pascagoula branch!
Tell us: what’s your favorite library branch? What programs do you most enjoy and what programs would you love to see the libraries offer for families?